Monday, February 4, 2008

The Hinckley Challenge

I received a forward today that I thought I would share with everyone. A prophet of the world, Gordon B. Hinckley, passed away last week at the age of 97. Some people have put together a challenge and website to honor our prophet. The challenge is to read the Book of Mormon in 97 days. I know this is not a prophetic challenge, but I hope this will help me develope a better habit of reading my scriptures on a daily basis. So, I have a little chart on my blog to show my progress. PLEASE encourage me if you see me slacking :)
For anyone wondering what "my scriptures" are...check this out.

President Gordon B. Hinckley on the Book of Mormon

"I take in my hand the Book of Mormon. I read its words. I have read Joseph Smith's explanation of how it came to be. To the unbelieving it is a story difficult to accept, and critics for generations have worn out their lives writing books intended to refute that story and to offer other explanations than the one given by Joseph the Prophet. But to the open-minded, this critical writing has only stimulated them to dig deeper; and the more deeply they dig, the greater the accumulation of evidence for the validity of Joseph Smith's story. Still, as has been demonstrated for a hundred and fifty years, the truth of the Book of Mormon will not be determined by literary analysis or by scientific research, although these continue to be reassuring. The truth about the origins of the Book of Mormon will be determined today and tomorrow, as it has been throughout the yesterdays, by reading the book in a spirit of reverence and respect and prayer."( "Praise to the Man," Ensign, Aug. 1983, 4)

No comments: