Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Amazing Day

Henry's birthday is tomorrow. I've spent the past week thinking a lot about my pregnancy and the days leading up to Henry's birth. I remember being ready. I remember being anxious about being a mother...could I do it, would I know what he needed? I remember being a little nervous about labor, but at the same time really excited.
One thing that really blew me away while I was pregnant was how many strangers {women} would come up to me and tell me how miserable I was going to be 9 months pregnant in July, or how awful their labor was and how awful mine was going to be. If the topic was anything other than pregnancy and labor, these unsupportive comments would be completely inappropriate in anyone's eyes.
I have had the privilege and blessing of being surrounded by very supportive people and very empowering birth stories. I know that it makes a difference. Not only did I know that I would survive the experience of birth, but I would come out on the other end a stronger person.
I am not claiming to have the most amazing birth story in the world, but it is the most amazing birth story to me and my family. I want to share Henry's birth story because I know that labor and childbirth is amazing. If I am blessed with that experience again, I look forward to it.

Disclaimer: I do talk about a baby being born...just a warning :)

Henry's estimated due date was July 26th. I was anxious to get things rolling. Not only was breathing close to impossible at times, but I knew the risks of induction and wanted nothing to do with them. I had been having mild contractions at night for a week or so, but nothing too significant. Every night before bed, Mike would remind our little guy that we were ready whenever he was :)
Monday morning at 5am, I woke up to a popping sound. I was sleeping on my side and I felt something warm on my leg. Either my bladder had failed me or my water had broke. I got out of bed and soon found out that it was the latter. I called my sister and Melaine {my doula} just to let them know that they would be needed in the coming day and I hopped in the shower. I was thinking about what I may have for breakfast or what Mike and I would do to pass the time as labor got started when I started having contractions. Nothing that brought me to my knees, but I was needing to rock my hips to feel better. I soon realized that I had not been in the shower for long and had had a few contractions.
I got out of the shower and asked Mike to pay attention to the clock. I was having 50 second contractions every 2 mimutes. It was go time! I called Melaine back and told her that I may want her to come over to our house sooner than I thought, but I'd call her back because I was sure everything was going to slow down {hmmm}. Mike helped me put on the TENS unit {I highly recommend this....I'll come back to this}. The contractions were coming like clock work. Mike was running around the house in between contractions getting things together. He would come in the room and say "You have 10 seconds before the next one" and help me through it before leaving again. It was funny the first time or two and then I asked him to stop with the announcement :)
I had been looking forward to laboring at home with Mike. I soon realized that out little man and my body had other plans. We left for the hospital at 6:30am. Emily and Melaine were meeting us there. After the short car ride to the hospital, I knew there would be no more sitting down for me. I refused the wheelchair in the ER and we slowly made our way to Labor and Delivery with a very nervous attendant.
We got into our room at 7:10 and I was asked to lay down for 20 minutes so the baby could be monitored. I had a hard time with contractions while laying down and I was glad when it was over. While I was being monitored, someone was getting the tub ready for me. Most people who have the chance to labor in water love it, so I was looking forward to it.
Let me stop for a second and tell you about Mike. This whole time, Mike had been right there every 2 minutes for every contraction. I needed him there. I was holding his hand and that's all I needed. There were 2 or 3 contractions during my whole labor where he wasn't beside me and they were ALOT harder. He was wonderful. Back to the tub...
I got in the tub while I waited for my midwife to arrive. She came 30 minutes later and told me to let her know if I wanted to be checked. I was afraid that she would check me and tell me I was a 2, so I told her I'd wait awhile. My contractions were coming stronger and stronger and I was having a hard time concentrating on what was happening. Something that really helped me was invisioning the baby and the progress that was being made. While I was in the tub, I started saying "oh baby, oh baby, oh baby..." through every contraction. I said that during every contraction from then on out until he was born. It really helped me focus.
Around 9:00am I decided that I wanted my midwife to check my progress. When I stood up out of the tub, I felt so much better. I felt best when I could move my hips during a contraction. I was at 6cm. Ok. I could do this. She told me that the baby's head needed to rotate a little more and that I needed to get into a "pretzel" position on the bed. That really doesn't sound pleasant, especially to a 9 month pregnant, laboring woman! I started to stall. I went to the bathroom for a loooong time. Eventually my midwife sent my doula and sister in to talk me into cooperating. The position wasn't as bad as it sounds, but I did not like being in the bed.
I got into that position at 9:30. The midwife knew what she was talking about because at 10:10, I was ready to push. You hear about women having the urge to push. It was crazy. They knew that I was at 10cm because my body started involuntarily bearing down. I don't think I could have stopped it if I tried.
Those 40 minutes before I started pushing were the most intense 40 minutes of my life. Transition is like being slammed against the tallest wall you've ever seen and knowing there is no way you can get over it. Or so you think. I ended up asking for a shot of phentanyl around 10:00. Every one in the room tried to talk me out of it {thank you team!}, but a strong personality only gets stronger in labor :) In hindsight I should have gotten out of that bed and against the wall where I was most comfortable {if you can call it that}. I don't want to say that I regret the phentanyl shot, but I do.
I started pushing around 10:15. I really wish that I would have had this part recorded. I was for sure that every one in that city block could hear me. I wasn't screaming, it wasn't a bad sound. I was making a sound that kinda sounded like a lion. I remember being surprised by how intense this stage was. It sounds silly to say now, but I was for some reason.
I pushed for an hour. It really didn't seem quite that long. I was tired. I started dozing in between the contractions. When the baby's head crowned, the midwife checked to make sure everything was ok. Then she told me to reach down and finish delivering my baby. I reached down and took him under his arms and guided him out and onto my chest. Nothing I can say now can describe that moment. I had gotten over that wall and had received the greatest reward. We had a son and he knew I was his mother. Every one in the room knew that he knew it. Mike was so proud of his son and so grateful to me.
I was so empowered by Henry's birth. I am grateful for that preperation that I had in becoming a mother. I was so grateful for the support of my husband, my sister, my friend, my midwife and my nurse. I loved that day. I loved the hard work. I loved my husband's love that I felt. I loved reaching for my baby for the first time. I loved becoming a mother.

8 comments:

Elise said...

beautiful! happy birthday henry!

Micah-n-Holly said...

What a Great Account! Thanks for sharing it! I know must have been a really special day for you and Mike! We are about to have our first baby in January and your story inspired me:) Thanks for recording it! Oh and Happy 1st Birthday to your little miracle:)

Keep Smiling!
Holly and Micah Gray
http://micahandholly2005.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

We love you Henry! Have a happy first birthday!

Anonymous said...

You inspire me (but I'll still probably have an epidural ;-).

Henry is one great little guy.

-Lindsay

GrowingRopers said...

glad you got it down for other to read. Im so greatful for the example you are to me, in so many things! Happy bday henry!

Ellis Family said...

I'm glad to hear your positive birth story, especially since I'll be in labor anytime in the next 2 or 3 weeks. I'm planning on an epidural, but am also motivated to have an awesome experience like yours. By the way, I decided to forgo the cloth diapers. I have a hard enough time keeping up with the laundry as it is! Thanks though! I'm glad you visited my blog! :)

McCall B. said...

Thank you for posting this and sharing it with me. I love to read stories about natural birth because it really helps me imagine myself being able to do it too. You're awesome and I hope that I will have a story like this within the next week or two!

Sarah Berry said...

Reading this made me cry. Happy birthday Henry!