Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Good movies and a great recipe







I've seen some movies lately that I've really liked. My nephew, Caleb, is a big fan of Meet the Robinsons. It's a really cute story. I'm not a big Disney fan, but this one is worth adding to the library. It's about a boy that lives in an orphanage and loves to invent. He's trying to find out who he is and find a family. Very cute!
Becoming Jane is a good chick flick. I love Jane Austin movies {I haven't been able to read her books}. This is about her life and her love.
Dan in Real Life is hilarious! This movie was recently recommended by a friend {thanks Jesse!}. I was cracking up throughout the whole movie. It definitely doesn't help my fear of daughters though :) All of these movies made my cry, but I'm a bit of a sap.




This recipe is another great one from Cooks Country magazine. I made beef enchiladas last night for Cinco de Mayo. All I can say is YUM!
3 garlic cloves
3 T chili powder
2 t ground coriander
2 t ground cumin
1 t sugar
salt
1 1/4 pounds top blade steaks, trimmed
1 T vegetable oil
2 medium onions
15 oz tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup chopped canned pickled jalapenos {i didn't add these}
12 corn tortillas
1. Combine garlic, chili, powder, coriander, cumin, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt in small bowl. Pat meat dry with paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Heat oil in Dutch oven over med-high until shimmering. Cook meat until browned on both sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer meat to plate. Add onions to pot and cook over med heat until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic mixture and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomato sauce and water and bring to boil. Return meat and juices to pot, cover, reduce heat to low, and gently simmer until meat is tender and can be broken apart with wooden spoon, about 1 1/2 hours.
2. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Strain beef mixture over medium bowl, breaking meat into small pieces; reserve sauce. Transfer meat to bowl and mix with 1 cup cheese, cilantro and jalapenos.
3. Spread 3/4 cup sauce in bottom of 13 by 9 inch baking dish. Microwave 6 tortillas on plate on high power until soft, about 1 minute. Spread 1/3 cup beef mixture down center of each tortilla, roll tortillas tightly, and set in baking dish seam side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas and beef mixture (you may have to fit 2 or more enchiladas down the sides of the baking dish). Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas and spread to coat evenly. Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly over enchiladas, wrap with aluminum foil, and bake until heated through, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until cheese browns slightly, 5 to 10 minutes. Serve.





1 comment:

Lauren Valentine said...

I have a new Austen movie for you to borrow..."Persuasion" - it's great. I have to say you are so good at blogging, you inspire me.