Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A hero among the devastation

There seems to be devastation all around the world today more than ever. I can't watch the evening news with the footage of Myanmar and China without tears falling. One beautiful thing that always comes out of these events are the stories of everyday heroes. Realizing that when people are truly needed, a hero appears in everyone. I had to share this story that I received through one of my yahoo groups.
Hundreds, if not thousands of children have been left without mothers and fathers after the quakes in China. It has been estimated that 50,000 people have been killed. These children are being sent to orphanages. These orphanages are not prepared and many do not have formula or powdered milk to give to the small infants. This Chinese policewoman had just given birth herself. She is now breastfeeding 8 orphans that would otherwise perish. Not only is this woman giving these children the gift of life, but she is providing these traumatized babies with the ultimate source of comfort. This woman is a hero and makes me proud to be a breastfeeding mother.

2 comments:

Cami said...

Great story...definately a tear jerker. These events really are hard to take in. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story.

Mother 25 - 8 said...

I thought the SAME EXACT THING when I read about her!