Monday, April 28, 2008

Back to Earth Day

So I am totally behind on my Earth Day posts. I would like to think that since I've been so behind on my posting lately that it means that I'm getting more important things done {hmmm...not so sure}. I wanted to share some things that our family has been doing over the past year to make for a healthier home and earth.



My Dad has always been quite the cleaner. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that our family was in the bed and breakfast business for many years. We can make a mean bed and make a bathroom shine. I was always pretty adamant about scrubbing out the tub often. But I was equally concerned with feeling like I needed to open all the windows in the house and wondering how many brain cells I was losing.



After I was diagnosed {I don't like that word!} with endometriosis, I started doing a lot of research and realized just how much not so good stuff our bodies our exposed to in our own homes! Not only are the chemicals harsh, but our homes are so well insulated that the harsh stuff can't leave our homes if it wanted to. Yikes. Not only are we exposed to these toxic chemicals, but they are dumped down the drain and out with our trash for mother nature to try to deal with. That's when we decided to go greener with cleaner.



I tried a few different earth friendly product lines and settled on Method products. I found a lot of benefits with this line. Believe it or not, their tub cleaner {which smells like fresh eucalyptus} actually did a better job that those little brush guys I use to use. Their dish soap was rated number one in Cook's Country, the cooking magazine that I've raved about in the past. Not just number one with the natural dish soaps, but ALL dish soaps. Method is also pretty easy to find compared to some of the other all natural products {I pick mine up at Target}.



Method came out with a line of baby and children's products on Earth Day, too. We love our Burt's Baby Bee products that we use, but it's always great to have more choices. Let me know if any of you have tried it.


What's your favorite family and earth friendly products? Has anyone found a good carpet cleaner or have a good home recipe?


2 comments:

dubby said...

My mom knows Burt and has toured his facility, so we are big fans of Burts Bees stuff. He is for real.

A lot of carpet cleaners leave residues that attract dirt in the future. In general, warm water will work on most stains and dirt. It is the "universal cleaner" and really a lot more powerful than most people give it credit for! Depending on the problem, I am also a big fan of vinegar, especially for glass. You can save a fortune by NOT using the expensive stuff and still be just as clean. And I agree, the perfumes and other additives can add to health problems.

When my son was found to be ADHD, we realized smells seemed to set him off. We had to ban scented detergents, perfumes, be careful where we sat in church, and even ask one teacher to tone down the aftershave (which he didn't appreciate). It made a huge difference in his behavior, though.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for plugging our product so well. I will be sending you and your friends a year supply of anything you want. We'll be in touch.

-Method Man