Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day '08

I am very excited about Earth Day this year. Every thing that falls under this topic has been on my mind a lot this year. I know it's cliche to say, but every day should be earth day! We have been doing some things in the Swinson household to help lesson our negative impact on this beautiful gift that our Heavenly Father has blessed us with. I'm excited to take some time this week to share some of those ideas with you. Until then, I found this great website with some really neat ideas on how to introduce some "earth day concepts" to your kids. Some of their ideas were:

1. Recycle! {i love recycling}
2. Compost {our neighborhood rabbits eat everything up before it has time to compost} :)
3. Go on a donation tour {reuse, reuse, reuse}
4. Reduce electricity {this is a great time of year to open your windows and let some fresh air in}
5. Hang clothes {it makes for great pictures too}
6. Reusable bags {you can make it into a craft with the kids}
7. Enjoy the Earth {kids take care of the things they love}

What are you going to do to celebrate Earth Day 2008? I'm going to go pick up a clothes line for the backyard.

1 comment:

dubby said...

I think manmade global warming is silly, but I totally believe in conservation. I shop at second hand stores rather than feel everything has to be new, especially for kids. They will grow out of it soon anyway! We only use cloth napkins in the house and seldom paper towels -- the only paper goods we use regularly are toilet paper and feminine stuff. I buy in large quantities so there is less packaging per meal, which saves money as well. Cooking from scratch is also great. Low flow shower heads and sink aerators save water. Turn down the heat on the hot water heater saves energy and money as well. Seems lots of energy saving techniques are good for the pocketbook as well.