Thursday, April 10, 2008

Kitchen Disasters

I don't really know why this is happening, but I have become a disaster in the kitchen recently! While I was in North Carolina, I wanted to fix dinner for Leslie and Matthew while they were at work. One afternoon while we were all hanging out, I tried to make cheesy beer bread to snack on. I didn't put the loaf pan on a cookie sheet and the butter that was drizzled on top of the dough dripped on the bottom of the oven. Soon to follow was some smoke that completely freaked out one of the dogs. Eli wasn't suppose to be a bird dog, he's a smoke dog. He knew something was wrong before we did. The poor guy was completely anxious. So, we had to stop cooking the bread and I ended up throwing it out. Ok, so that's not too bad, right?...

Fast forward a couple days...I was very excited to make Chicken Parmesan for Leslie, Matthew, and Leslie's father. I had gone through everything in my head {I stress trying to get everything to finish cooking at the same time}. I made the marinara ahead so I wouldn't have to worry about it later. I did all sorts of prep...except WIPE OUT THE OVEN! So, dinner was almost ready. I went to preheat the oven and smoke was everywhere. The smoke detectors kept going off {they were connected to the house alarm, so taking the battery out didn't help}. We had to take the dogs to the garage because they were so anxious. I thought "it's ok, it will stop smoking soon" and then I hear Leslie say "my oven is on fire". I think I may have said a curse word in my head. It's bad enough to catch your own oven on fire! Come to find out, none of us really knew what to do. I turned the oven off, kept the door closed, and prayed with all my might that Leslie's house wouldn't burn down! The fire DID go out, the oven cooled down and Mr. Peterson cleaned the oven out. So, I got dinner on the table around 8p. I must say though, it was pretty darn good. I'll have to post that recipe. I think the worst part was that I was totally embarrassed. All I wanted to do was impress them with my new kitchen skills and I could do nothing right.




While I was at Leslie's, I kept turning the wrong burners on because they were switched from what mine are. I guess I got use to how her's were. Do you know what happens when you put pyrex on a hot burner? I went to make cream of wheat the other morning. I turned the burner on and left the kitchen {thank goodness}. I had a pyrex dish sitting on the front burner from the night before {this is another reason why I should wash all the dishes before I go to bed at night}. Well, it ends up that I turned the front burner on instead. All the sudden, there was a noise that I was for sure was going to be followed by my death. It was like nothing I had ever heard. The pyrex dish was all over my kitchen and some in my living area. Sadly enough, once I realized that all was ok, I thought for a second, "At least I don't have to wash that now". Then it took me an hour to de-glass my house {with a baby wanting to crawl around}. Apparently, I'm not the only person that this has happened to. I'm realizing that you can find anything on YouTube!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's happened to me too! Luckily I wasn't standing right next to it either haha! Miss you and love you!!
Grace

Cami said...

Done the same thing:) I thought I was being shot! It was a really funny moment, after I realized what had happened.

Kristy said...

Gena, that was a hilarious! You gave me a good laugh. So glad your dinner turned out though! Hopefully they were impressed with your "skills" after they tasted your dinner. :)

Kristy said...

Gena, that was a hilarious! You gave me a good laugh. So glad your dinner turned out though! Hopefully they were impressed with your "skills" after they tasted your dinner. :)

Anonymous said...

I think you just need to watch more Martha... haha... just kidding! It will be one of my favorite memories about your stay at my house. It'll go down in the record books- needless to say I still have not cleaned the oven and we've set the smoke alarms off once since you left!